1. Soak the skewers in water 30 minutes before you are ready to grill.
2. Slice pork shoulder into very thin strips (about 1-inch wide, 1-3 inches long).
3. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Mix the sliced pork into the marinade and cover with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for no more than 3 hours.
5. Drain the pork. Thread pork onto skewers.
6. Start the coals in your barbecue or set your gas grill to medium high. When the coals are hot, place skewers directly over the heat and grill on each side until golden and cooked through, turning the skewers if one side is getting too cooked (about 5 minutes).
7. Remove skewers from grill and serve immediately. To garnish, sprinkle sesame seeds or unsweetened, shaved coconut over the skewers.
Recipe and image used with permission and courtesy of Wusthof. All rights reserved. Recipe by Camas Davis, Butcher and founder of The Portland Meat Collective, Portland, OR.