1. Cream butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar, add eggs.
2. Dissolve baking soda in milk and add to egg sugar/egg mixture. Add vanilla.
3. Sift cream of tartar, flour, and salt together. Add to creamed mixture.
4. Chill dough for 30 minutes
5. Preheat oven to 350 F, and roll dough on a floured surface.
6. Cut circles, or a desired shape from the dough. Bake for 5 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Remove from oven, brush tops with egg whites and place one pansy on top. Top with a little more egg white.
8. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and cook 5 minutes more.
9. Cool and enjoy!