This recipe is for the Tramontina LYON 5-quart Dutch Oven with tube cake pan insert. French vanilla bean ice cream can be substituted for Crème Chantilly. Makes 1 cake (8 to 10 servings).
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1-1/4 hours
1. In a hot sauté pan, melt butter and add sugar.
2. Once butter is melted, add in peeled, cored and sliced (1/2 inch thick) pears, along with salt.
3. Stir only occasionally, allowing pears to caramelize. This will take a few minutes.
4. Once pears are nicely caramelized, spoon pear mixture into the LYON Cake Pan insert. Set this aside.
5. In a mixer, cream together butter, sugar and salt. Cream for 3 minutes.
6. Add molasses and room temperature eggs. Note: The mixture may look slightly curdled.
7. Sift together all remaining dry ingredients. Add to egg mixture, taking care not to over mix, however making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
8. Pour cake batter over pears.
9. Place Cake Pan insert in the LYON 5-quart Dutch Oven, which has 1 inch of water in the bottom. Cover with lid.
10. Turn burner to low.
11. Bake on top of the stove for about 45 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
12. While cake is baking, in a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together on high speed until soft peaks form. Refrigerate.
13. Once baked, invert cake immediately on a serving plate. Serve hot or at room temperature with a dollop of Crème Chantilly or French vanilla bean ice cream.