Makes one 9-inch pie
Make the Crust (use this recipe or your favorite double pie crust recipe)
1. Add flour, salt and sugar to large bowl. Using a hand-held pastry blender or blending fork, cut in butter until crumbs are pea-sized. Gently mix in ice water, a tablespoon or two at a time, until dough holds together enough to form a ball. Divide dough in half and form each half into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
2. For bottom crust, roll-out one disk of dough to fit 9-inch pie plate (about a 12-inch round). Carefully center crust in pie plate and press lightly onto bottom and along sides. Refrigerate. For top crust, roll-out second disk of dough into 12-inch round. Place on lightly floured plate or baking sheet and refrigerate.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F. Place rimmed baking sheet in oven to preheat.
Make the Pie Filling
4. To a medium-sized, non-aluminum saucepan, add cherries, sugar and cornstarch. Carefully mix together with spatula. Allow filling to sit for 10 minutes or until cherries release their juices.
5. Turn on heat to medium setting. Bring filling to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower heat and simmer for 1 minute or until juices thicken and become translucent. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in butter and almond extract. Place saucepan on cooling rack and cool filling until lukewarm.
Assemble, Bake and Serve
6. Remove pie dish with bottom crust and top pie crust from refrigerator. Pour cooled filling into pie dish. Cover with top crust, trimming excess dough and crimping edges to seal. Using point of sharp knife, make several slits in top crust for steam vents. Place pie dish on heated baking sheet.
7. Bake pie for 45 to 55 minutes or until top crust is golden brown. Cool pie for several hours before slicing and serving.