1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Create a well in the center of the dry mixture.
3. Add buttermilk. Mix well with hands, until the dough is soft, but not too wet.
4. Remove dough from bowl and place on flat, floured surface. Knead for one minute.
5. Shape dough into an oval, about 1.5 inches deep.
6. With a serrated knife, cut an "X" across the top.
7. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
8. Remove bread from baking sheet to cool.
1. Using serrated bread knife, cut slightly cooled soda bread into 8 slices.
2. Spread slices out onto flat counter or table, into 2 rows of 4 slices.
3. Top one row of bread slices with two slices of Irish cheddar cheese, covering as much of bread surface as possible.
4. Top the bread and cheese stack with another slice of bread. Lightly butter the top of the top slice of bread.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in large skillet.
6. Place two sandwiches, buttered side up in skillet. Sear until golden brown (approximately 3 minutes).
7. Using spatula, flip sandwich so buttered side is face down. Allow second side to sear (approximately 3 minutes).
8. Remove from heat, and add 1 more tablespoon of butter to skillet.
9. Repeat with remaining to sandwiches.
10. Cut 4 sandwiches into quarters. Serve immediately.