Portuguese Tea Flan - Instructions
1. Position a rack on the middle of the oven and crank the heat to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
2. Fill a kettle with water to bring to a boil. Combine the milk and tea leaves in a small saucepan and
bring to the merest simmer over medium-low heat. Remove the pan from heat and allow the milk to steep
until deeply infused, about 10 minutes. Strain the mixture into a bowl, discard the tea leaves, and let
the milk cool until just warm.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1 cup of the sugar and 2 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan over medium heat
without stirring until the sugar melts and begins to color a bit. Resist the urge to stir; instead,
swirl the pan occasionally. Continue cooking the mixture until it's a dark maple-syrup brown and gives
off a rich aroma of caramel, 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Carefully pour the caramel into a 1 1/2-quart flan mold or metal baking dish, such as an 8-inch
square cake pan, tilting the pan to coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.
5. Stir the eggs, the yolk, and the remaining 1 cup of sugar with a wooden spoon in a medium bowl until
the sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Slowly tip in the infused milk, stirring all the while. Pour