Home Cured Bacon - Instructions
1. Start with a whole pork belly. Leave skin on.
2. Using the carving knife, separate the flat part of the belly from the thicker, curvier, uneven side
of the belly. Use the flatter part to make pancetta or bacon.
3. In a bowl mix: 2 tablespoons crushed juniper berries, 2 tablespoons ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon
allspice, 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika, crush 2-3 bay leaves, 5 cloves crushed
garlic, ADD 1-1/2 tablespoon of salt per pound of belly to the mix.
4. Rub 1-2 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons molasses all over the belly, but not the skin. Rub salt and
spice mixture onto the belly, but not the skin.
5. Place over cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet in fridge for about 2-3 days. Flip every day.
6. After 2-3 days, rinse belly and pat dry to remove salt and spice mixture. Let sit over a cooling rack
in the fridge for another 3-4 days at minimum, or until the belly feels somewhat resistant to the touch
(but not dry and hard as in jerky).