Heart-Smart Sweet Potato Muffins
|1 cup||whole-wheat flour|
|1 cup||all-purpose flour|
|1/2 cup||packed brown sugar|
|2 1/2 teaspoons||baking powder|
|1/2 teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
|1/8 teaspoon||ground cloves|
|1 cup||skim milk|
|1 tablespoon||canola oil|
|1 cup||finely grated raw sweet potato|
|1/2 cup||finely chopped dried pears|
|1 to 2 tablespoons||turbinado sugar|
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. Combine whole-wheat flour and next six ingredients (whole-wheat flour through salt) in a mixing bowl.
3. Combine milk, egg whites and oil in a separate bowl. Whisk well.
4. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into the well and stir until just combined. Gently fold in sweet potato and pears.
5. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until centers spring back when touched. Makes 12 muffins.
Recipe provided by Mary Carter for Relish, relishmag.com