Appetizer Cream Puffs with Creamy Feta Olive Filling
|Cream Puffs:|| |
|1 cup||water |
|1/2 cup (1 stick)||butter or margarine |
|1/4 teaspoon||salt |
|1 cup||all-purpose flour |
|Creamy Feta Olive Filling:|| |
|1 package (8 ounces)|| light cream cheese |
|4 ounces||tomato and basil-flavored feta, crumbled |
|1/2 cup||light sour cream |
|1/3 cup||finely chopped kalamata or ripe olives |
|1/2 teaspoon||lemon pepper seasoning|
1. Cream Puffs: Heat water, butter and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat to a full rolling boil. Reduce heat and quickly stir in flour, mixing vigorously until mixture leaves sides of pan in a ball.
2. Place mixture in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and add eggs, one at a time, beating about 30 seconds after each addition. Stop and scrape bowl. Turn to Speed 4 and beat 15 seconds.
3. Drop dough onto greased baking sheets in 36 mounds placed 2 inches apart. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake 25 minutes longer. Turn off oven. Remove baking sheets from oven. Cut a small slit in side of each puff. Return pans to oven for 10 minutes, leaving oven door ajar. Cool completely on wire racks.
4. Creamy Feta Olive Filling: Combine all ingredients in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about 30 seconds, or until blended. Makes 2 cups.
5. Cut puffs in half and pipe or spoon about 1 tablespoon Creamy Feta Olive Filling into each puff. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of KitchenAid