Bacon Jam - Instructions
1. Preheat heavyweight saucepan or Dutch oven on medium heat. The pot's capacity should be around
2. Prep work: Cut bacon into 1-inch strips. Cut onion in half, and then cut each half into 1/4-inch
slices. Dice jalapeno pepper (for less heat, remove ribs and seeds). Chop garlic cloves.
3. Add bacon to pot. Fry until fat renders and bacon is lightly browned and beginning to crisp. Transfer
bacon to plate lined with paper towels and let drain. Pour off all but one tablespoon of bacon fat.
4. Add sliced onions and jalapeno peppers to pot. Sauté on medium heat until tender, about 5 to 10
minutes. Stir in chopped garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
5. To onion, jalapeno and garlic mixture, add dark brown sugar, brewed coffee, apple cider vinegar,
balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, bourbon, water, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir well to combine
and deglaze pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add bacon and stir to
combine. Mixture will be soupy. Reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to cook, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2