Gluten-free Chocolate Chunk Cookies
|1 pound||almond meal made with unblanched almonds|
|1/2 teaspoon||baking soda|
|1 teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
|1/2 teaspoon||nutmeg, freshly grated|
|1-1/4 cup (2-1/2 sticks)||unsalted butter, melted and cooled|
|Zest of one orange|| |
|2 teaspoons||pure vanilla extract|
|1 cup||light or dark brown sugar, packed|
|1 cup||sliced almonds, toasted (optional)|
|2 cups||dark chocolate chips or chunks|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Melt butter. Cool before using in step 4.
3. In medium bowl, combine dry ingredients: almond meal, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir or whisk together.
4. In another medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar and wet ingredients: melted butter, orange zest and vanilla extract.
5. Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix well with spoon or spatula. Carefully stir in sliced almonds, if desired.
6. Make dough balls with a one-tablespoon portion scoop. Mold dough around 2 chocolate chips or chocolate chunks. Place dough balls one inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Flatten each ball slightly with fingers.
7. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are firm and light brown. Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies