Pithiviers - Instructions Continued
10. Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out one half about 1/8 inch (3
mm) thick; set aside. Roll out the remaining dough 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick and place on a baking sheet.
11. Using a vol-au-vent circle*, 6 inches (15 cm) in diameter, make a light imprint on one of the
sheets of dough. Brush around the imprint with egg wash.
12. Make the almond cream. Cream together butter and sugars until pale and light. Add egg, beat well
and stir in ground almonds and rum followed by flour. Use a piping bag fitted with a 1/2 inch (1 cm)
plain tip to pipe the almond cream onto the center of the dough, leaving a ½ inch (1cm) border all
13. Spread the almond cream into a dome using a palette knife.
14. Place the second piece of pastry over the first and press to release any air. Seal edges.
15. Place a vol-au-vent circle, 7 inches (18 cm), lightly on cake. Use this as a guide to cut out
small, uniform semi-circles, creating a scalloped effect.