Pithiviers - Instructions Continued
11. Using a vol-au-vent circle*, 6 inches (15 cm) in diameter, make a light imprint
on one of the sheets of dough. Brush around the imprint with egg wash.
12. Make the almond cream. Cream together butter and sugars until pale and light.
Add egg, beat well and stir in ground almonds and rum followed by flour. Use a piping
bag fitted with a 1/2 inch (1 cm) plain tip to pipe the almond cream onto the center
of the dough, leaving a ½ inch (1cm) border all around.
13. Spread the almond cream into a dome using a palette knife.
14. Place the second piece of pastry over the first and press to release any air.
15. Place a vol-au-vent circle, 7 inches (18 cm), lightly on cake. Use this as a