Blackened Salmon with Jicama Mango Slaw
Cajun style blackened salmon with a crispy, spiced crust balanced with a sweet and tangy slaw.
For the Salmon
2 Salmon Filets (5 oz. each, skin and pin bones removed)
½ Tbsp (4.5 grams) Kosher Salt
1½ Tbsp (9.3 grams) Smoked Paprika
½ tsp (0.7 grams) Cayenne Pepper
½ tsp (1.2 grams) Garlic Powder
½ tsp (1.2 grams) Onion Powder
½ tsp (0.35 grams) Oregano, dried
1 tsp (4 mL) Canola Oil
For the Slaw
½ Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ Tbsp (6.5 grams) Lime Juice
½ (2 grams) Cilantro
Kosher Salt (as needed)
- Measure and combine all the blackening seasoning ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Julienne the mango and jicama(thinly slice).
- Combine all the slaw ingredients and gently mix with a rubber spatula until combined. Set aside.
- Place the Hestan Pan on the burner (or your own pan on the stove).
- How thick is your salmon and how would you like it cooked? If you’re using the Cue, refer to our app to set your thickness and doneness. If cooking on a traditional stove, set to medium high.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the top side of the salmon with canola oil then place each salmon filet oiled side down into the blackening seasoning. Shake off any excess.
- Once the oil is very hot (almost smoking), add 2 filets seasoned side down, making sure they do not touch. Sear until a dark crust forms. In the meantime, brush the non-seasoned, upward facing side with oil then season with kosher salt.
- Flip the filets, then sear and reduce the temperature to medium and cook until you’ve reached your desired doneness.
- Once done, transfer the salmon to a paper towel lined tray or plate to remove any excess oil.
- Spoon some mango jicama slaw onto the center of each plate. Place each piece of salmon on a bed of slaw, then top the salmon with a pinch more of the slaw. Garnish each dish with a few leaves of cilantro and serve immediately.
- 2 Salmon Filets (5 oz. each, skin and pin bones removed)
- ½ Tbsp (4.5 grams) Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp (9.3 grams) Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp (0.7 grams) Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp (1.2 grams) Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp (1.2 grams) Onion Powder
- ½ tsp (0.35 grams) Oregano, dried
- 1 tsp (4 mL) Canola Oil
- ¼ Jicama
- ½ Mango
- ½ Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Tbsp (6.5 grams) Lime Juice
- ½ Lime ½ (2 grams)
- Kosher Salt (as needed)