65 minutes total time
45 minutes active time
Back in the day, when I didn’t know about smart dieting, I would eat chicken Caesar salad all the time. Even today, I always look for certain dishes: Caesar salad, lasagna, and calamari. If someone has it on the menu, I have to try it.
½ loaf artisanal bread, preferably ciabatta
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Caesar Dressing (makes 1 cup)
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced oil-packed brown anchovies
1 ½ teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
4 heads romaine hearts
One small wedge Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
For the Croutons
Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
Remove and discard the crusts from the bread. Cut the bread into ½ inch cubes. Toss with the oil to coat and then season evenly with the salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake, tossing once or twice, until golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes.
For the Dressing
Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
To Assemble the Salad
Trim the root end of each romaine heart and cut in half lengthwise and separate the leaves. Put in a large bowl and toss with enough dressing to coat. Add some croutons and give the ingredients one more toss. Divide among serving plates. Using a peeler, shave pieces of the Parmesan cheese over the top and garnish with a grind of fresh black pepper.
This recipe is part of Simple Feast, an app that hosts an amazing community of Chefs and their delicious recipes. To view more recipes go to Simple Feast.
- ½ loaf artisanal bread, preferably ciabatta
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Ingredients//Caesar Dressing (makes 1 cup)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced oil-packed brown anchovies
- 1 ½ teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese Ingredients//Salad
- 4 heads romaine hearts
- One small wedge Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper