Pan Seared Snapper Serrano Chili and Orange Vinaigrette
Pan Seared Snapper with Serrano Chile and Orange Vinaigrette
Created for Hestan Cue
Total time 35
Active time 35
For the snapper
4, 5 oz. filets, Red Snapper (skin on, bones removed)
2 Tbsp Canola Oil
Fleur de Sel
For the vinaigrette
4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves
1 inch piece Ginger,
2 Serrano Chiles
½ cup Orange Juice
1 tsp Kosher Salt
½ tsp Lime Juice
2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro
1. Temper the snapper: Unwrap the snapper and place it on a paper towel lined plate.
2. Portion the snapper: Cut the snapper into approximately 5 oz. filets. You can also ask
your fish butcher to do this for you.
3. Finely chop the garlic.
4. Peel and finely chop the ginger.
5. Deseed and dice the serrano chile.
6. Zest the lime.
7. Pick the cilantro garnish and finely chop the remaining cilantro.
8. Turn the stove to medium heat.
9. Measure and add the olive oil. Tilt the pan to coat evenly.
10. Add the ginger, serrano chile and garlic. Sauté for about 30 seconds.
11. Add the orange juice.
12. Reduce the sauce until it coats the back of a spoon. With a rubber spatula, scrape down
the sides occasionally.
13. Remove the pan from heat. Add the salt, lime juice, cilantro and zest, then transfer the
sauce to a bowl and set aside.
14. Return the pan to the burner over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of canola oil.
Tilt the pan to coat evenly.
15. Using a paper towel, gently pat both sides of the snapper filets dry then season each filet
with kosher salt.
16. Place the snapper filets, skin side down, in the center of the pan making sure they are
not touching. Gently press down on each filet with a fish spatula to crisp the skin. Cook
for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the skin has browned.
17. Flip the filets so the skin side is facing up. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the
fish is cooked through.
18. Carefully remove the filets with a fish spatula and transfer them to a paper towel lined
tray or plate and season with a pinch of fleur de sel.
19. Spoon the sauce onto the center of each plate, then place the snapper in the center. For
a pop of color, finish each dish with a sprig of fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
For step by step Video Instruction and more recipes, download the Hestan Cue App!
- 4 Snapper Filets (5 oz each, skin on, scaled and pin bones removed)
- 2 Tbsp Canola Oil
- Fleur de Sel (as needed)
- Kosher Salt (as needed)
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Ginger (1 inch piece)
- 2 Serrano Chilies
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1 Lime
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro