Strawberries | Ingredient Spotlight
All Things Strawberries: Fun Facts, Hacks & Recipes
You know it’s spring when the farmers market is packed with trays and trays of fresh strawberries! To help you enjoy these delicious berries all season long, we collected a few fun facts, some handy hacks, and a couple of yummy recipes to try!
- Strawberries are low in calories and high in vitamins C, B6, K fiber, folic acid, potassium and amino acids
- Strawberries contain high levels of nitrate which has been shown to help increase blood and oxygen flow to muscles which helps them heal faster
- Every single state in the US grows strawberries, but California takes the cake growing nearly 80% of the berries we eat
Hacks & Tricks
- Don't rinse cut strawberries underwater until you're ready to eat them—it speeds up spoiling!
- Try making Strawberry Ice Cubes:
Simply puree fresh or frozen strawberries and filtered water in a food processor. The consistency should be thick but pourable. Fill ice cubes trays with the puree and place in the freezer until frozen!
- Did you know Strawberries are considered part of the rose family? So it’s no surprise, this Strawberry Rose “Ice Cream” from Simple Feast is delicious!
- Did you know eight strawberries contain more Vitamin C than a medium sized orange? Get your daily dose, plus some with this Strawberry Fresca Smoothie from Chef Dave Cruz!